Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chandeliers


I borrowed this picture from someone's blog...not sure where or who? Chandeliers add instant charm to any decor, but especially French style.

I am in love with the casual sophistication of French decor...the history of each piece exposed in the faded grandeur that once was and still is. The muted and matte shades of browns, cream and taupe, mixed with elements of crystal, such as chandeliers...that is the ultimate in design as far as I am concerned.

"Shabby Chic" has it's place...best suited to a beach/lake house or a home in the southwest USA...and I love that style too. However, French style...even the connotation that has...like "Paris" or "the south of France" evoke an image of a way of life that has been around for centuries. The time-worn, rusted, at one time very expensive items like wrought iron beds...don't they instantly have more charm if they are from France? I think they do.

Perhaps I will be fortunate enough to go to Paris and the south of France one day...until then, I must love it vicariously through books, blogs, magazines and films.

No comments: